Music for all… for life!
Welcome to the Center for Musical Arts – Your Community Music School
I am very excited to begin my fourth year at the Center for Musical Arts. The renovations taking place as I write this will be complete by the time we start the fall term and I am anxious to show you how it turns out! The lobby and new wall upstairs will be the first thing you see, but the lower level is where we have really made some changes. The soundproofing between rooms and floors will enhance your lesson experience and the addition of a classroom space allows us to provide additional group programs. So grab a friend or neighbor and join one of the new classes!
We are adding a number of classes and ensembles for different age levels. Our Suzuki programs continue to grow and will offer more group classes this year. I am particularly interested to hear how you enjoy the new Introduction to Clawhammer Banjo Class, the Adult Beginning Guitar Class, the CMA Vocal Jazz Ensemble, or the new CMA Showstoppers Glee Club.
I am often asked why someone would choose to study at the Center for Musical Arts. Of course, our tuition assistance program makes it easy for everyone to participate, but it’s our sense of community that people comment on most often. We provide many opportunities for our students to perform (Adult Recital, Pick-a-Friend Recital, Performathon, etc.), to participate (Holiday Sing-A-Long) and to attend concerts (CMF, Kaleidoscope Concerts, and Family Fun Concerts). From families, I also hear a lot of comments about how nice it is to be able to bring multiple family members to one location and receive instruction ranging from voice, to banjo, to violin, to jazz and Broadway styles.
Discover something in these pages that piques your interest. Find a way to add music to your life, whether it’s playing, singing, or listening. If you have thoughts about what you see here or at the Center please share them with us. My email and phone number are below.
Ethan M. Hecht
WHY STUDY AT THE CMA?
• 40 skilled professional teaching artists are employed; 80% with advanced degrees in music or national/international performing and teaching experience. National background checks and formal performance reviews are conducted for all faculty and staff.
• Dedicated staff committed to outstanding service to our students and the community
• Award-winning Heartstrings program of tuition assistance and Musical Instrument Bank for families in need. We turn no one away!
• Welcoming, safe environment within our 10,000 sq. ft. former church building, including 12 teaching studios, two performance spaces, 21 pianos [featuring a 9-ft Steinway concert grand and a digital piano lab], free Wi-Fi enabled waiting area, computers with music software, a library of music, books, and recordings, and lots of shops and restaurants nearby
• Our six-week summer music festival (CMF) connects students with world-class musicians and performances. CMA students get discounted (and free!) tickets to CMF concerts, workshops and masterclass opportunities
• CMA students get $1 admission to the Kaleidoscope concert series, with 50% discount to accompanying parent/caregivers
• Many student performance opportunities: recitals, annual Performathon, Honors Recital, and community outreach (senior centers, etc.)
• Discounts for enrolling in multiple programs and for recording fees and space rental
• Free practice room space (subject to availability)
• In-house store, in collaboration with Lafayette Music, allowing students to conveniently purchase reeds, rosin, strings, and other items
• Opportunity to become part of a real community through music; great social environment for making connections, friends, and forming musical groups
• “Guild school” stature: as a full member of the National Guild for Community Arts Education, we have a commitment to excellence in arts education and access for all. The Guild provides us with support and training in best industry practices to ensure that we’re equipped to deliver the very best—for you!
• Electronic newsletter, TakeNote, filled with information about terrific upcoming performances and educational offerings